Friday, January 21, 2011

Relaxing while I can

So what is this relaxing thing? I'm really really not used to sitting still and listening to silence, but I am beginning to like it.
Next week things get hairy again. School starts for me full time. I have no idea what I am doing. I have always wanted to earn my college degree, so I am going for it.
I volunteered for 2 1/2 years at the Shasta County Arts Council for a small AmeriCorps Vista stipend plus college tuition. My term is up (okay, I ended it early to save my brain), but I still earned two full years of scholarship money. So now's the time to use it up.
I start at CSUChico on Tuesday. I am taking 5 classes.. Ohhhh, my. That and being mom and painting is complete insanity. I know, but really, 4 semesters, only 4 months long each will not kill me. I'll just be counting the days toward summer, spring and winter break.
Actually, I'm pretty excited. I've been waiting a long time for this opportunity and will be happy to chalk it up on my resume.. If I live to see the end! :)

So I'm starting as a Business/Marketing major. We'll see if I can hack it. If not, I may have to switch around back to art. So far, I am still hooked on the marketing idea.


Last night I was asked to paint on live TV. Okay, it was our small public access station here in Redding, Channel 11, but what a priviledge! I was thrilled! I really like to paint in front of people. Below is the image I painted, called "Above". For those of you who were there and curious, I told you what it was about. For the rest, I would like to know more, what it means to you. If anything at all.

Anyways, it was inspired by a dream.

I started the painting at 4pm and signed my name (finished) at 8:30pm. Phew!
The painting is 24"x36", acrylic on canvas.
"Above"


Below is another painting from the same series.
It is also 24"x36" acrylic

"Brink"


Soo, that's it for now.

2 comments:

  1. Best paintings yet, Raette! I'm not speaking of your technique or very obvious talent, but of what these artworks say. My litmus test for the exceptional is when I cannot find the words to describe what I know in my mind and heart - then I know that it briefly touches eternity. Good "place" to touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you looking out on new territory and exploring on your flying carpet. There you are walking a fine line holding onto your balloon to keep you from tipping, climbing to your goal the mountain in the distance. You will make it. You have determination and innocence that lead you on.

    ReplyDelete