Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Spring Again

Finally I have removed all excess responsibilities in effort to make more time to paint. So I send the kids off to school, am caught up with laundry and finished my book. Now that I cleared my plate so to speak, I am sitting here, in my quiet house looking for things to do, when I know that I am supposed to be painting. But I don't feel like it. I know that if I wait to feel like painting the canvas will go untouched and I will grow less and less motivated. I complain to my sister about my dilemma and she reminds me that I don't have to commit to a full day of painting. It's weird how I know that setting the time for one hour is the solution but hearing it from my sister it finally clicks. I guess I just needed to hear it again.

I know that if I start painting every single day, even if it is just for an hour, eventually inspiration will return and I will once again look forward to painting time. I will not look at that canvas with a blank stare, paralyzed, unable to move forward. I also know that once the creative mind kicks in it will in no time be splitting at the seams with ideas and creativity. Spring will return in my mind.

So yesterday, following my sister's advice, I got my water pail ready and Netflix loaded, set my timer and painted for one hour. I can't say that it was all that comfortable but I can say that when I woke up today, I actually looked forward to my painting time a little more. Again, I set the timer, but this time I ended up painting for two hours. I can feel my critical eye returning (that's a good thing) and the motivation is beginning to stir.

I didn't get a ton done today, but I did paint. It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. how true. the heat has kicked me out of my studio...attrition is setting in. not good.
    trying now to get back on 6am schedule until weather cools down. every little minute counts.

    ReplyDelete