Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dante Faerie

DANTE is a faerie that I met on a summer walk along the Sacramento River Trail. Alongside the trail, scattered throughout a dry summer field were giant dandelions. I swear they had to be the size of a slow-pitch softball. I just had to see the dandelions up close as before that moment the largest dandelion I had ever seen was no larger than a quarter the size of these. It was dandelions on steroids, completely foreign to me.


I battled my way into the field, trying desperately with no luck to avoid the tiny burrs that clung to my socks and shoelaces. The burrs, foxtails and raspberry bushes had to be protecting the giant dandelions from curious creatures like myself. Knowledge of this intentional barricade burned my curiosity even further, intensifying my need to get closer.


Finally, burdened with stickers of all sorts, legs crosshatched by blood left from thorn whippings I reached my destination. I reached down, and tried with all my might to pluck the dandelion from the earth.


Unfortunately I had no gloves on, and after several earnest attempts, my hands stinging from invisible splinters hiding on the stem of the flower I gave up. I decided this dandelion was absolutely not ever going to go home with me. There has to be a reason for the defense system.


Then it occured to me. This MUST be a faerie home. You see, faeries do not want to be seen.


The last time faeries were easily seen by anyone who looked they became subjects of torturous investigations and studies, diminishing their population by millions.


Faeries now strategically place their homes in remote locations that are surrounded by objects of pain for anyone who may be a threat.


I decided against bringing the dandelion home and bent down and studied the phenomenon quietly and just with my eyes. After about 15 long minutes of silent study I spotted a quiver.


Oh! I almost shouted out, but truly I didn't have another 15 minutes to hang out in the sticker field so I bit my tongue and held my breath.


After another eternity of at least 120 seconds, the tiniest purple shoe popped out, above the fluff of the dandelion. "ACHEEEEOOOOOO!", the entire top of the dandelion fell off and landed right upon my burr-covered laces.


I did not know what to do! Here on my foot, was what appeared to be yet another faerie! What SHOULD I do? I reached down and ever so carefully cradled her in the palm of my hand. She was definately startled, and taken back by the mere size of me. I would not be so brave either had it been me sitting in a humongous hand! I assured her that I would not hurt her or take her to my lab or conduct numerous experiments on her tiny body.


Instead I would let her go. She was needless to say, thrilled to be free. She thanked me by telling me her name. It was Dante.


I rushed home and drew everything I could remember about my tiny friend, Dante. I hope to see her next summer too.


Dante is #2/365 faeries I will paint this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment