Sunday, February 14, 2010

Honey


Honey's job is to provide nectar for the hummingbirds and other creatures that survive on the sweetness as their main food source. They have even been known to save some for passing children as a summer treat. I know this because one hot summer when I was a little girl, I busily cleared the garden from evil weeds that threatened to take over our lovely honeysuckle vine. I pretended that the weeds were actually drowning kittens, and it was my job to save them all from the depths of their doom.
Deep in my imagination I was, when I heard a sound that actually did sound like a drowning kitten. I was always keeping my ears open for kittens in need of a home, preferably abandoned kittens so it would be more difficult for my mom to turn them away.
I stood still, my ears aching for another sign of helplessness that would lead me to the kitten hideaway. Nothing.. it seemed like an eternity waiting there in the hot sun with sweaty gloved hands cramped from gripping the kitten saving device, or weed puller my mom called in her boring adult way. Actually we didn't have a weed puller, even.. it was a butter knife that mom apparently didn't care much for anymore.
So I waited... before long I forgot what I was waiting for, so I began again to carve kittens out of the ground. I started to get thirsty. When did I get a break? Mom said I had to stay outside until I was finished, but I really was thirsty and there was no way I could wait -- you know how it is when you are 10, fifteen minutes felt more like a full day! I had to do something about my thirst, after all, a kitten saviour such as myself really did need plenty of water, or else the threat of dehydration and possibly death would end my career!
I looked around.. blood? I could drink my blood, though the last time I tried that it tasted curiously warm, a little like a penny, and not refreshing at all. I could drink my own spit, but would I run out, and the bubbles are all but satisfying. I looked around myself and I saw the honeysuckle vine was in full bloom, bright orange flowers glowing in the summer sun. I plucked one fresh flower bud and sucked on the end, sweet! wow, there is actually juice in these things, more like sugar water.. I could sit here all day and drink these sweet treats!
I grabbed for another, then another. Before I knew it I was sitting in a flower massacre. There had to be fifty thousand million plucked flowers all around me. I looked up. Okay, there were still plenty on the vine, Mom and Dad wouldn't even notice if I took one more. I reached up. Having cleared out the bottom half of the vine I had to stand on my tippy, tippy toes to reach the really really official last one. Just barely there! Ah! i got it! Wait! This one is sticking! Okay I need something taller to really reach it. There -- it -- is -- I got it!
Again! That kitten-like sound! Wait, that wasn't a kitten sound at all! It was something, something small whispering my name! Instead of grabbing the flower, the flower seemed to flutter right into my hand. Yes, I said it. It fluttered... I must have had too much nectar because the flower seemed to float right above my fingertips, not really touching my hand at all. Was it actually dancing on my fingers? Yes! It was!
Wow, I really need to lay off the nectar! This is so cool! That sound, almost like a song of my name softly chanted. "Kitten saver you are, my lady" What? Were you talking to me? Can you read my mind? "Yes, you are the kitten saver of the Western Region my lady." The flower looked at me right in the eyes and giggled, "It's okay, I'm used to being stared at. I am Honey, keeper of the nectar." It was then that I ashamedly noticed the flowers all around me. Flowers that were meant to feed hummingbirds, bees and butterflies.
"Oh, silly girl, the nectar is meant for you too, for if it weren't for your kitten saving, my fragile vines would be choked until all nectar bearing life is lost. You help yourself to the nectar any time you need it. For it is simple, all of these unopened buds will be open tomorrow. The bees and hummingbirds and butterflies are sleeping now and will not be back until the early morning hours." I was truly grateful and relieved for did get so very carried away with the flowers!
With that, Honey lifted a tiny cup filled with nectar and told me to drink. As I sipped, the cup seemed to keep filling. I drank and drank until I my thirst was quenched. Honey then told me that any time I was out saving kittens if I became thirsty all I needed to do was whisper her name and she would be there with her tiny cup of nectar.
Honey and I have met on several occasions since that tenth summer in my parent's garden. She arrives in her cheerful, floaty way with her cup of nectar when I am in the most need of refreshment from a long day of work. I usually don't have to even whisper her name. I think she follows me in my imagination to this day.

HONEY 3/365

No comments:

Post a Comment